- an Ivy-leaguer: Princeton Grad ('71) Georgetown Law ('79)
- not a social conservative -Arrested for Marijuana use (1970); Divorced and remarried
- a DC insider - Senator Lugar's Buddy and principle aide - 1971-1985 and Reagan White House political advisor 1985-1987
- a supportor of Big Business -VP of Global Pharmasuitical Company Eli Lilly and Company - 1990-2001
- a Supporter of George Bush and the Iraq War. -OMB Director 2001-2003
- a "neo-con" - President and CEO of the Hudson Institute 1987-1990.
So Mitch is really quite acceptable to moderate DC insiders like Brooks, despite coming from Indiana.