Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Lee on the South's Greatest Mistake

Georgia Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill  asked Lee (in 1864) to name the Confederacy's greatest mistake. His reply:

"We made a great mistake in the beginning of our struggle, and I fear, in spite of all we can do, it will prove a fatal mistake"

"What mistake is that General?"

"Why sir in the beginning we appointed all our worst generals to command our armies, and all our best generals to edit our newspapers. I have done the best I could in the field, and have not succeeded as I would wish. I am willing to yield my place to these best generals, and I will do my best for the cause editing a newspaper.

Even as a poor soldier as I am can generally discover mistakes after it is all over, but if I could only induce these wise gentlemen who see them so clearly beforehand to communicate with me in advance, instead of waiting until the evil has come upon me."

No comments: