1) Marshall went to VMI, MacArthur to West Point.
2) Marshall was an infantry officer, MacArthur an Engineer.
3) In France During WW I, Marshall was a staff officer, MacArthur a combat officer.
4) Both men served overseas but almost never at the time. When Marshall was stateside, Mac was in the Philippines, and vice-versa.
5) MacArthur became a general in 1920, Marshall languished as Captain/Major until 1927 and only became a General in 1936.
As far as I can tell the 2 men were only in the same general area twice. In 1908-1910 both men were stationed in Ft. Leavenworth Kansas and in 1917-1919 both were in France during WWI. The two men' s service record looks like this:
- June 1903 - Graduates West Point.
- Oct 1903- June 1905 Philippines and California
- June 1905-June 1907 Aid to his father (General Arthur MacArthur) and President
- June 1907-June 1908 - Various posts in USA as Engineer
- 1908-1912 Engineer Ft Leavenworth and Ft Riley Kansas
- 1913-1917 Engineer attached to the General Staff - Washington DC
- 1917-1919 - France with 42nd Rainbow Division - Promoted Brigadier General
- 1919-1922 - Commandant West Point
- 1992-1925 Philippines
- 1925-1928 Corps Commander - Baltimore MD - Promoted Major General
- 1928-1930 Philippines
- 1930 1935 Army Chief of Staff - Washington DC
- 1935 - 1938 Commander US Army Philippines
- 1938 - 1941 Retired from US Army. Head of Filipino Army
- July 1941 - Recalled to active duty.
- Feb 1902-Oct 1903 Philippines
- 1903-1906 - Infantry Officer - Oklahoma
- 1906-1908 - Student at Ft Leavenworth Staff College - Kansas
- 1909-1910 - Instructor Ft Leavenworth Staff College - Kansas
- 1910-1913 - Company Commander and Instructor various posts in USA
- 1913-1916 Philippines
- 1916-1917 - Aid to General Bell - California
- 1917-1918 - Staff Officer - 1st Division - France
- 1918-1919 - Staff Officer - 1st Army - France - Promoted to Colonel (Temporary)
- 1919-1924 - Aid to General Pershing (Reverts back to Regular Army Captain in 1920)
- 1924- 1927 - China (Promoted to Lt Col)
- 1927-1932 - Head Ft Benning Infantry School
- 1933 - Service with Illinois National Guard - Promoted to Colonel
- 1934-1938 - Service with CCC - (Promoted to Brigadier General - March 1936)
- Oct 1938 -Sept 1939 - Deputy Chief of Staff - DC
- Sept 1939- Nov 1945 - Army Chief of Staff