Sunday, September 07, 2008

Report of General Franklin on 2nd battle of Bull Run

Report of Gem William B. Franklin, U. S. Army, commanding Sixth
Army Corps, of operations August 30.

CENTREVILLE, August 30 8.15 p. m.

GENERAL: I have opened your dispatch of 2 p. in. to General Pope.
1 arrived at the field this afternoon at 6 o'clock. Found that the road
was filled with fleeing men, artillery, and wagons, all leaving the field
iii a panic. It was a scene of terrible confusion, and I immediately
formed line of battle across the road an(1 attempted to stop and form
the stragglers. It was impossible to succeed in this, the number be-
coining over 7,000 in less than half an hour. The number continued to
increase until I left the position, and I have now moved my corps to
this place. The panic, from the accounts I have had of it, appears un-
accountable. The men are from several divisions. Our left was broken
and turned. I shall make this place as defensible as possible, but my
march to-day has linen 20 miles.

I was unable to find General Pope on the field, but I understand that
he changed his position several times.
Very respectfully, yours,
Major- General, Commanding.
General H. XV. HALLECK,
Commander-in- Chief.

No. 117.

Itinerary of the First Division, Sixth Army Corps, Brig. Gen. Henry W.
Slocum commanding, August 16 31. *

August 16, broke camp at Harrison's Landing and marched to Charles
City Court-House, 7 miles.
August 17, marched to and crossed the Chickahoininy at Barrett�s
Ford, 14 miles.
August 18, marched to Simpson's house, Williamsburg, 15 miles.
August 19, marched to Yorktown, 12 miles.
August 20, marched to Young's Mill,14 miles.
August 21, marched to Newport News, 9 miles.
August 22 and 23, embarked on transports for Aquia Creek.
August 24, arrived and debarked at Alexandria, Va.
August 27, the First Brigade moved from encampment near Alex-
Alexandria by rail to Bull Run Bridge. Marched across Bull Run Bridge,
and met a large force of the enemy, under General Jackson, 2 miles
beyond, and was soon forced by vastly superior numbers to retire under
a galling fire from the enemy's artillery. Marched back the same after-
noon to FairfaxCourt-House. The loss in killed, wounded, and missing
in the engagement was very severe. Among those wounded was Gen-
eral George W. Taylor, who subsequently died of wounds then received.
August 29, the division left camp near Alexandria, and marched to
Annandale, on the Little River pike, about 7 miles
August 30, marched, via Fairfax Court-House and Centreville, to-
ward Bull Run, and just at evening formed line of battle across the
Warrenton pike, beyond Cub Run, to stop the stragglers that were
then coming from the battle-field. Remained in position there all
night, until the army had all retired. Marched this day about 18 miles.
August 31, fell back to Centreville and took position in the fortifica-

No comments: